Lead Evangelist for Suffolk Centre of Mission
Closing date: 5th October 2021
The role of Lead Evangelist is an exciting opportunity to lead a Centre of Mission which will have a significant impact on evangelism, pioneering and mission, across a whole diocese.
The purpose of the Centre of Mission is to be a hub for evangelism for the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. This will involve training others to join in evangelism in a variety of ways and also hands-on evangelism and pioneering providing a centre where good practice can be seen and shared. The Centre of Mission will work both face to face and online for training and evangelism.
The Lead Evangelist, based in Ipswich will lead a team consisting of a Full Time Pioneer Evangelist working in Ipswich, focussed on Children and Families or Youth Evangelism, and a Part-time Lightwave Pioneer Evangelist, living and working in a rural setting to:
- Run Diocesan-wide Evangelism training using Church Army’s Faith Empowered material building on the existing Licensed Lay Evangelist scheme.
- Lead and model evangelism in South West Ipswich, nurturing fresh expressions amongst groups who are not connecting with the prevalent forms of church.
- Develop the Pilgrim Together Community, a Lightwave Pioneering Project in a rural part of the diocese, sharing the story of that community and mentoring and encouraging others in evangelism and pioneering to enable the model to be replicated in an appropriately contextual way.
- Work with the diocesan Mission and Ministry team to develop a Mission Apprentice Programme for young evangelists using Church Army’s Envoy programme.
- Run one-off, in-person and online events to inspire evangelism and pioneering.
- Build an evangelism-focussed community around the Centre of Mission consisting of those involved in volunteering and the existing Licensed Lay Evangelists and Lay Pioneers. In due course this will also involve the Mission Apprentices.
This post will be part of the diocesan Mission and Ministry team who are ready to offer practical and prayerful support for the Lead Evangelist.
We are looking for outstanding evangelists who are excited by living and working amongst people disconnected from church, and by helping them discover the joy and freedom of faith in Jesus Christ. If you want to lead this team and be involved in starting and innovating new, relevant worshipping communities, developing a culture of evangelism and pioneering in a supportive environment where you will be encouraged to take risks and try new things then please consider applying for this post.
Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich
Full-time stipendiary post, entitled to a stipend of at least the National Minimum Stipend specified by the Central Stipends Authority (currently £26,559)
Full Time. Hours are worked over 6 days and will include evening and weekend work.
Pension Scheme administered by the Church of England Pensions Board.
Postholder provided with house. (St Peter’s Stoke Park Vicarage)
36 days paid leave in addition to the usual public holidays, plus 4 discretionary days at Easter and Christmas, although these are subject to review.
An enhanced DBS check is required.
This post is subject to an Occupational Requirement under the provisions made in the Equality Act 2010 that the post holder has an active faith in Jesus. The successful candidate must be in agreement with the vision and values of Church Army and The Church of England.
5 October 2021
15 October 2021
For more information about the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich please visit: www.cofesuffolk.org and for Church Army please visit: www.churcharmy.org
For more information, please see the recruitment pack.
You can also read background information about the Diocese/Inspiring Ipswich/Lightwave here.
For more information on the role, please contact The Revd Canon Dave Gardner, Director of Mission & Ministry Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich ( 07394 559887/ email@example.com).
To apply, please submit Diocese of Ipswich Application Form which is available to download on the advert for the post on the website.
Applications should be sent to: HR@cofesuffolk.org
Please note that Church Army is not the employer for this post.