Wilson Carlile Day
26 September 2023
Every 26 September, the Church of England remembers Wilson Carlile, the founder of Church Army, and his contributions to the mission of the Church. In his day, Wilson was known for his dedication to helping the poor and marginalised in society and for his daring challenge to the Church to step outside the walls and take the gospel message of Jesus to the people on the streets.
Until his last day, Wilson Carlile worked tirelessly to ensure that the Church remained relevant and accessible to all. His passion for speaking the message of God’s love and mercy was infectious and his tireless efforts helped to shape the Church into the inclusive, welcoming place it is today.
In 1882, Wilson Carlile’s passion to serve God and love people struck a chord that reverberated through history. Over 140 years later, it is still motivating Evangelists all over the UK and Ireland to bring hope to people in need, both in words and through practical actions.
In 2023, Church Army is still committed to that same vision of walking with people though their brokenness and giving them a chance to see that hope is real and that transformation is possible.
Last year we celebrated 140 years of Church Army. We marked the occasion by producing a two-part legacy edition of the Church Army magazine. If you did not have the opportunity to read those, you can request a copy by emailing is at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also visit churcharmy.org/140 to read featured stories and learn about out history and heroic journeys of Church Army men and women through the World Wars. You can also watch one of the few existing recorded messages from our founder: Wilson Carlile.
- Give thanks for the 140 years of Church Army’s ministry of bringing hope to the lost and forgotten.
- Pray for protection for Church Army staff and volunteers as they go into some of the most challenging areas of our society.
- Pray for financial provision for Church Army so that we can continue our vital work bringing hope to people on the margins of society.
- Pray that the Church would be a hope-filled community, full of God’s love and truth.
- Pray that God would raise up more men and women to be hope-bearers in their communities and workplaces.
- Pray that many people would come to know Christ through the work of Church Army.
- Pray that Church Army would be a strong voice for social justice and righteousness in our society.